Monday, January 12, 2009

Toddler Crayons or Fun Balls? You Decide . . .

A little less than a year ago, a little friend of Amanda's received a set of toddler markers - they were pretty cool even to an aging Gramma. They were little balls with marker ends coming out of one side. Easy to grasp and hold onto while being "Creative." I was told they also came in crayons. A thought formed and went into my mental file box - First crayons for Casen. I remembered that my kids both liked to scribble right around a year. Brian and I - hoping to spark the creative gene in both children - had started taping drawing paper to their highchair trays when each of them were around 10 months. They had happily scribbled with the old fashioned Big Crayons (for little hands). Neither grew up to love drawing, but - a parent can try.
So a day or two before Casen's arrival I was walking through Target, trying to think of ANYTHING else we needed to get before they got here - when I remembered the Toddler Crayons. I searched the "creative aisle" which Brian and I affectionly call the"Glitter and Glue Aisle" at Target. There they hung - Toddler Crayons - a package of 3! I took them off the hook, looked them over, decided they would be fun and into the basket they went.
A few days later, out came the Toddler crayons and a Christmas coloring book. I eagerly got down on the floor with Casen and showed him this Treasure. I jumped up to get some paper, thinking that might work better and by the time I had taken two steps the first Toddler Crayon went flying followed shortly by the second- Brian and Amanda started laughing as I held the intact Toddler Crayon ball and the broken crayon in my hands. I don't have a grandbaby who wants to sit quietly doing creative things, I have a Ballplaying Grandbaby! I think he gets his arm from his Daddy or Bunny! Oh, well . . . The Toddler Crayons got plenty of usage minus the crayons!
Side note: Brian, thinking I was disappointed, later that night tried to console me by telling me that it was okay, maybe the next grandbaby will want to do crafts with me. I had to smile - I love that man!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

case the ball-player..he throws everything!!! right now he loves to throw things into the bathtub...toys, socks, etc.